Meaning of MEMBER in English
— memberless , adj.
/mem"beuhr/ , n.
1. a person, animal, plant, group, etc., that is part of a society, party, community, taxon, or other body.
a. a member of Congress, esp. of the House of Representatives.
b. a member of the British Parliament, esp. of the House of Commons.
c. any member of a legislative body.
3. a part or organ of an animal body; a limb, as a leg, arm, or wing.
4. Bot. a structural entity of a plant body.
5. the penis.
6. a constituent part of any structural or composite whole, as a subordinate architectural feature of a building.
a. either side of an equation.
b. an element of a set.
8. Geol. a stratigraphic unit recognized within a formation, and mapped as such.
9. being a member of or having membership in an association, organization, etc.: member countries of the United Nations.
[ 1250-1300; ME membre membrum ]
Syn. 6. element, portion.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012