/nohd/ , n.
1. a knot, protuberance, or knob.
2. a centering point of component parts.
3. Anat. a knotlike mass of tissue: lymph node.
4. Pathol. circumscribed swelling.
a. a joint in a stem.
b. a part of a stem that normally bears a leaf.
6. Math. knot (def. 12).
7. Geom. a point on a curve or surface at which there can be more than one tangent line or tangent plane.
8. Physics. a point, line, or region in a standing wave at which there is relatively little or no vibration.
9. Astron. either of the two points at which the orbit of a heavenly body intersects a given plane, esp. the plane of the ecliptic or of the celestial equator. Cf. ascending node, descending node .
10. Ling. an element of a tree diagram that represents a constituent of a linguistic construction.
11. Optics. See nodal point .
12. Engin. See panel point .
[ 1565-75; nodus knot ]