Meaning of NOTCH in English
— notchy , adj.
/noch/ , n.
1. an angular or V-shaped cut, indentation, or slit in an object, surface, or edge.
2. a cut or nick made in a stick or other object for record, as in keeping a tally.
3. New Eng. and Upstate New York. a deep, narrow opening or pass between mountains; gap; defile.
4. Informal. a step, degree, or grade: This camera is a notch better than the other.
5. Metall. a taphole in a blast furnace: iron notch; cinder notch.
6. to cut or make a notch in.
7. to record by notches: He notched each kill on the stick.
8. to score, as in a game: He notched another win.
9. notch up or down , to move up or down or increase or decrease by notches or degrees: The temperature has notched up another degree.
[ 1570-80; a notch (by false division) for an * otch oche notch ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012