Meaning of PAVEMENT in English
— pavemental /payv men"tl/ , adj.
/payv"meuhnt/ , n.
1. a paved road, highway, etc.
2. a paved surface, ground covering, or floor.
3. a material used for paving.
4. Atlantic States and Brit. sidewalk.
5. pound the pavement , Informal. to walk the streets in order to accomplish something: If you're going to find work you'd better start pounding the pavement.
[ 1250-1300; ME pavimentum. See PAVE, -MENT ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012