— pressureless , adj.
/presh"euhr/ , n. , v. , pressured, pressuring .
1. the exertion of force upon a surface by an object, fluid, etc., in contact with it: the pressure of earth against a wall.
2. Physics. force per unit area. Symbol: P Cf. stress (def. 6).
3. Meteorol. See atmospheric pressure .
4. Elect. See electromotive force .
5. the state of being pressed or compressed.
6. harassment; oppression: the pressures of daily life.
7. a constraining or compelling force or influence: the social pressures of city life; financial pressure.
8. urgency, as of affairs or business: He works well under pressure.
9. Obs. that which is impressed.
10. to force (someone) toward a particular end; influence: They pressured him into accepting the contract.
[ 1350-1400; ME (n.) pressura. See PRESS 1 , -URE ]