Meaning of RIDGE in English
— ridgelike , adj.
/rij/ , n. , v. , ridged, ridging .
1. a long, narrow elevation of land; a chain of hills or mountains.
2. the long and narrow upper edge, angle, or crest of something, as a hill, wave, or vault.
3. the back of an animal.
4. any raised, narrow strip, as on cloth.
5. the horizontal line in which the tops of the rafters of a roof meet.
6. (on a weather chart) a narrow, elongated area of high pressure.
7. to provide with or form into a ridge or ridges.
8. to mark with or as if with ridges.
9. to form ridges.
[ bef. 900; ME rigge (n.), OE hrycg spine, crest, ridge; c. D rug, G Rücken, ON hryggr ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012