Meaning of RIVER in English
— riverless , adj. — riverlike , adj.
/riv"euhr/ , n.
1. a natural stream of water of fairly large size flowing in a definite course or channel or series of diverging and converging channels.
2. a similar stream of something other than water: a river of lava; a river of ice.
3. any abundant stream or copious flow; outpouring: rivers of tears; rivers of words.
4. ( cap. ) Astron. the constellation Eridanus.
5. Print. a vertical channel of white space resulting from the alignment in several lines of spaces between words.
6. sell down the river , to betray; desert; mislead: to sell one's friends down the river.
7. up the river , Slang.
a. to prison: to be sent up the river for a bank robbery.
b. in prison: Thirty years up the river had made him a stranger to society.
[ 1250-1300; ME rivere, riviere riparia, n. use of fem. of L riparius RIPARIAN ]
/ruy"veuhr/ , n.
a person who rives.
[ 1475-85; RIVE + -ER 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012