Meaning of ROOM in English
/roohm, room/ , n.
1. a portion of space within a building or other structure, separated by walls or partitions from other parts: a dining room.
2. rooms , lodgings or quarters, as in a house or building.
3. the persons present in a room: The whole room laughed.
4. space or extent of space occupied by or available for something: The desk takes up too much room.
5. opportunity or scope for something: room for improvement; room for doubt.
6. status or a station in life considered as a place: He fought for room at the top.
7. capacity: Her brain had no room for trivia.
8. Mining. a working area cut between pillars.
9. to occupy a room or rooms; lodge.
[ bef. 900; ME roum ( e ), OE rum; c. D ruim, G Raum ]
Syn. 5. provision, margin, allowance.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012