Meaning of SILENT in English
— silently , adv. — silentness , n.
/suy"leuhnt/ , adj.
1. making no sound; quiet; still: a silent motor.
2. refraining from speech.
3. speechless; mute.
4. not inclined to speak; taciturn; reticent.
5. characterized by absence of speech or sound: a silent prayer.
6. unspoken; tacit: a silent assent.
7. omitting mention of something, as in a narrative: The records are silent about this crime.
8. inactive or quiescent, as a volcano.
9. not sounded or pronounced: The "b" in "doubt" is a silent letter.
10. Motion Pictures. not having spoken dialogue or a soundtrack.
11. Med. producing no symptoms: silent gallstones.
12. Usually, silents . silent films.
[ 1555-65; silent- (s. of silens ), prp. of silere to be quiet; see -ENT ]
Syn. 1. soundless. See still 1 . 8. dormant.
Ant. 1. noisy. 4. talkative.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012