— tankless , adj. — tanklike , adj.
/tangk/ , n.
1. a large receptacle, container, or structure for holding a liquid or gas: tanks for storing oil.
2. a natural or artificial pool, pond, or lake.
3. Mil. an armored, self-propelled combat vehicle, armed with cannon and machine guns and moving on a caterpillar tread.
4. Slang. a prison cell or enclosure for more than one occupant, as for prisoners awaiting a hearing.
5. See tank top .
6. go in the tank , Boxing Slang. to go through the motions of a match but deliberately lose because of an illicit prearrangement or fix; throw a fight.
7. to put or store in a tank.
8. tank up ,
a. to fill the gas tank of an automobile or other motor vehicle.
b. Slang. to drink a great quantity of alcoholic beverage, esp. to intoxication.
9. Slang. to do poorly or decline rapidly; fail: The movie tanked at the box office.
[ 1610-20; perh. jointly tankh reservoir, lake, and Pg tanque, contr. of estanque pond, lit., something dammed up, deriv. of estancar ( stanticare ) to dam up, weaken; adopted as a cover name for the military vehicle during the early stages of its manufacture in England (December, 1915) ]