Meaning of TAPE in English
— tapeless , adj. — tapelike , adj.
/tayp/ , n. , v. , taped, taping .
1. a long, narrow strip of linen, cotton, or the like, used for tying garments, binding seams or carpets, etc.
2. a long, narrow strip of paper, metal, etc.
3. a strip of cloth, paper, or plastic with an adhesive surface, used for sealing, binding, or attaching items together; adhesive tape or masking tape.
4. See tape measure .
5. a string stretched across the finishing line in a race and broken by the winning contestant on crossing the line.
6. See ticker tape .
7. See magnetic tape .
8. a magnetic tape carrying prerecorded sound: a tape of a rock concert.
9. to furnish with a tape or tapes.
10. to tie up, bind, or attach with tape.
11. to measure with or as if with a tape measure.
12. to record or prerecord on magnetic tape.
13. to record something on magnetic tape.
[ bef. 1000; ME; unexplained var. of tappe, OE taeppe strip (of cloth), lit., part torn off; akin to MLG teppen to tear, pluck ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012