Meaning of TRANSFORMATION in English
— transformational , adj.
/trans'feuhr may"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act or process of transforming.
2. the state of being transformed.
3. change in form, appearance, nature, or character.
4. Theat. a seemingly miraculous change in the appearance of scenery or actors in view of the audience.
5. Logic. Also called transform . one of a set of algebraic formulas used to express the relations between elements, sets, etc., that form parts of a given system.
a. the act, process, or result of transforming or mapping.
b. function (def. 4a).
a. See transformational rule .
b. the process by which deep structures are converted into surface structures using transformational rules.
8. Genetics. the transfer of genetic material from one cell to another resulting in a genetic change in the recipient cell.
9. a wig or hairpiece for a woman.
[ 1400-50; late ME transformation- (s. of transformatio ) change of shape. See TRANS-, FORMATION ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012