Meaning of DEPARTURE in English
de ‧ par ‧ ture W3 /dɪˈpɑːtʃə $ -ˈpɑːrtʃər/ BrE AmE noun
1 . [uncountable and countable] an act of leaving a place, especially at the start of a journey OPP arrival
I saw Simon shortly before his departure for Russia.
There was a delay in the departure of our plane.
Mozart’s departure from Paris in September 1778
2 . [uncountable and countable] an act of leaving an organization or position
He refused to discuss his departure from the government.
3 . [countable] a flight, train etc that leaves at a particular time:
There are several departures for New York every day.
4 . [countable] a way of doing something that is different from the usual, traditional, or expected way
Their new designs represent a departure from their usual style.
radical/major/significant etc departure (=a big change)
This would be a radical departure from the subsidy system.
• • •
■ ADJECTIVES/NOUN + departure
▪ sudden/abrupt (=done suddenly, without being planned)
I didn't know how I was going to explain his abrupt departure to the others.
Their departure seemed rather sudden.
▪ a hasty/speedy departure (=done very quickly and suddenly)
I was surprised by her hasty departure.
▪ a flight/train/coach departure
I'm afraid your flight departure has been delayed.
▪ delay somebody's departure (=make it later)
I decided to delay my departure by a few days.
■ departure + NOUN
▪ a departure date ( also date of departure )
You cannot make a change to your booking within six weeks of your departure date.
▪ a departure time
Do you know your exact departure time?
▪ a departure point (=the place where you leave from)
Luxor is one departure point for boat trips down the Nile.
▪ a departure gate (=an exit from an airport to get a particular flight)
It was a long walk with all our luggage to the departure gate.
▪ a departure lounge (=a room at an airport where people wait before their flights leave)
▪ the departures board (=a board showing the times of planes or trains)
I scanned the departures board for details of my flight.
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Longman - Словарь современного английского языка. 2012