Meaning of ORANGE in English
city, Orange county, southern California, U.S. It lies along the Santa Ana River. Part of Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana, it was founded as Richland in 1868, laid out in 1871, and renamed in 1875 for its orange groves. Orange was initially a citrus-packing centre. It subsequently developed with the Los Angeles metropolitan area and acquired some light manufacturing. The city is the site of Chapman University (established 1861 in Los Angeles, relocated 1954) and of a branch campus of West Coast University. Inc. city, 1888. Pop. (1993 est.) 114,753. county, southeastern New York state, U.S., located mostly in the Hudson River valley. It is bordered by Pennsylvania to the northwest (the Delaware River constituting the boundary), New Jersey to the southwest, and the Hudson River to the east. Among the other waterways are the Wallkill and Neversink rivers and Shawangunk Kill. Storm King Mountain is a massive granite formation in the Palisades, a stretch of sandstone bluffs along the Hudson. Harriman State Park, in the southeastern corner of the county, is the second largest state park in New York. Other parklands include Highland Lakes, Goosepond Mountain, and Storm King state parks; the Appalachian National Scenic Trail crosses the southeastern corner of the county. The major forest types are oak and hickory. Algonquian-speaking Indians lived in the area in the 17th century. One of the original New York counties, Orange was created in 1683 and named for William of Orange (later William III of England). Many notable military commanders were trained at the United States Military Academy at West Point (founded 1802), one of the oldest service academies in the world. The county seat is Goshen, which is the home of the Trotting Horse Museum and the Historic Track, the nation's oldest track for trotting horse competition (began 1838). Other communities include Newburgh, Middletown, Warwick, New Windsor, and Port Jervis. The main economic activities are services, retail trade, and agriculture (especially vegetables). Area 816 square miles (2,114 square km). Pop. (1990) 307,647; (1996 est.) 324,422. town, Vaucluse dpartement, Provence-Alpes-Cte d'Azur rgion, southeastern France. It lies in a fertile plain on the left bank of the Rhne River, north of Avignon. The town has grown up around the Roman monuments for which it is famous. The semicircular theatre, probably built during the reign of the first Roman emperor, Augustus (27 BCAD 14), is the best preserved of its kind. The tiered benches (partly rebuilt), which rise on the slopes of a slight hill, originally seated 1,100. The magnificent wall that constitutes the back of the theatre is 334 feet (102 m) long and 124 feet (38 m) high. An imposing statue of Augustus, about 12 feet (3.7 m) high, stands in the wall's central niche. Orange also has a triumphal arch that is one of the largest built by the Romans. It is about 61 feet (19 m) high and has fine sculptures evoking the victories in the 1st century BC of the Roman general and statesman Julius Caesar. Orange is now a market town whose main industries include the manufacture of brooms and glass and food processing (jam, canned fruit). It derives its name from Arausio, a Gaulish god. Under Augustus' rule it became a prosperous city. In the 5th century it was pillaged by the Visigoths. The town became an independent countship in the 11th century and later passed to the house of Nassau. The French king Louis XIV captured the town and pulled down its fortifications in 1660. Orange was ceded to France in 1713 by the Treaty of Utrecht. Pop. (1990) 28,136. county, eastern Vermont, U.S., bounded to the east by New Hampshire; the Connecticut River constitutes the border. It consists of a piedmont region that includes Butterfield, Knox, and Braintree mountains. The county is drained by the Ompompanoosuc, White, Waits, and Wells rivers; Lakes Morey and Fairlee are among the larger lakes. Recreational areas include Allis and Thetford Hill state parks. The main species of timber are white pine, hard maple, and hemlock. Jacob Bayley, a Revolutionary War general, helped settle the region, notably by founding Newbury in 1763 and by building the Bayley-Hazen Military Road in 177679. The county was formed in 1781 and named for William of Orange (William III of England). Randolph developed with the coming of the railroad in 1848. Tunbridge is the site of the century-old annual Tunbridge World's Fair. The county seat is Chelsea. Notable buildings include Maple Grove (built 1804) in Randolph Center, the Newton House (built 1835) in Brookfield, and the Justin S. Morrill Homestead (built 184851) in Strafford. The county contains about a dozen covered bridges as well as a floating bridge in Brookfield. The principal industries are tourism, manufacturing (textiles and lumber), and agriculture. Area 689 square miles (1,784 square km). Pop. (1990) 26,149; (1996 est.) 27,562. city, east-central New South Wales, Australia. It is located near the slopes of Mount Canobolas, an extinct volcano. In 1828 the area was named by Sir Thomas Mitchell in memory of the Prince of Orange, his commander during the Peninsular War, and the village of Orange was proclaimed in 1846. It grew after the announcement in 1851 of payable gold deposits at nearby Ophir. Farming replaced mining, and Orange is now the centre of a fruit-growing (mainly apples), mixed-farming, and grazing area. It has stockyards and abattoirs, and light-industrial development includes the manufacture of electrical appliances. It was proclaimed a town in 1885 and a city in 1946. In 1972 it was proclaimed part of the Bathurst-Orange Growth Area, designed to promote decentralization. Orange is noted for its parks and its October cherry blossom festival. Pop. (1991) 29,635.
Britannica English vocabulary. Английский словарь Британика. 2012