Meaning of ORANGE in English
/awr"inj, or"-/ , n.
1. a globose, reddish-yellow, bitter or sweet, edible citrus fruit.
2. any white-flowered, evergreen citrus trees of the genus Citrus, bearing this fruit, as C. aurantium (bitter orange, Seville orange , or sour orange) and C. sinensis (sweet orange) , cultivated in warm countries.
3. any of several other citrus trees, as the trifoliate orange.
4. any of several trees or fruits resembling an orange.
5. a color between yellow and red in the spectrum, an effect of light with a wavelength between 590 and 610 nm; reddish yellow.
6. Art. a secondary color that has been formed by the mixture of red and yellow pigments.
7. of or pertaining to the orange.
8. made or prepared with oranges or orangelike flavoring: orange sherbet.
9. of the color orange; reddish-yellow.
[ 1300-50; ME: the fruit or tree orenge, c. Sp naranja naranj
narang naranga ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012