[dry] adj dri.er also dry.er ; dri.est also dry.est [ME, fr. OE dryge; akin to OHG truckan dry, OE dreahnian to drain] (bef. 12c) 1 a: free or relatively free from a liquid and esp. water b: not being in or under water "~ land" c: lacking precipitation or humidity "~ climate"
2. a: characterized by exhaustion of a supply of liquid "a ~ well" b: devoid of running water "a ~ ravine" c: devoid of natural moisture "my throat was ~" d: no longer sticky or damp "the paint is ~" e: not giving milk "a ~ cow" f: lacking freshness: stale g: anhydrous 3 a: marked by the absence or scantiness of secretions "a ~ cough" b: not shedding or accompanied by tears "a ~ sob"
4. obs: involving no bloodshed or drowning "I would fain die a ~ death --Shak."
5. a: marked by the absence of alcoholic beverages "a ~ party" b: prohibiting the manufacture or distribution of alcoholic beverages
6: served or eaten without butter or margarine "~ toast"
7. a: lacking sweetness: sec "~ champagne" b: having all or most sugar fermented to alcohol "a ~ wine" "~ beer"
8. a: solid as opposed to liquid "~ groceries" b: reduced to powder or flakes: dehydrated "~ milk" 9: functioning without lubrication "a ~ clutch"
10. of natural gas: containing no recoverable hydrocarbon (as gasoline) 11: requiring no liquid in preparation or operation "a ~ photocopying process" 12 a: not showing or communicating warmth, enthusiasm, or tender feeling: severe "a ~ style of painting" b: wearisome, uninteresting "~ passages of description" c: lacking embellishment: plain "the ~ facts" 13 a: not yielding what is expected or desired: unproductive b: having no personal bias or emotional concern "the ~ light of reason" c: reserved, aloof 14: marked by matter-of-fact, ironic, or terse manner of expression "~ wit" 15: lacking smooth sound qualities "a ~ rasping voice" 16: being a dry run "a ~ rehearsal" -- dry.ish adj -- dry.ly adv -- dry.ness n
dry vb dried ; dry.ing vt (bef. 12c): to make dry ~ vi: to become dry -- dry.able adj dry n, pl drys (13c) 1: the condition of being dry: dryness
2: something dry; esp: a dry place