[score] n, pl scores [ME scor, fr. ON skor notch, tally, twenty; akin to OE scieran to cut--more at shear] (14c) 1 or pl score a: twenty b: a group of 20 things--often used in combination with a cardinal number "fourscore" c: an indefinitely large number
2. a: a line (as a scratch or incision) made with or as if with a sharp instrument b (1): a mark used as a starting point or goal (2): a mark used for keeping account 3 a: an account or reckoning orig. kept by making marks on a tally b: amount due: indebtedness
4: grudge "a ~ to settle"
5. a: reason, ground b: subject, topic
6. a: the copy of a musical composition in written or printed notation b: a musical composition; specif: the music for a movie or theatrical production c: a complete description of a dance composition in choreographic notation
7. a: a number that expresses accomplishment (as in a game or test) or excellence (as in quality) either absolutely in points gained or by comparison to a standard b: an act (as a goal, run, or touchdown) in any of various games or contests that gains points 8: success in obtaining something (as money or drugs) esp. through illegal or irregular means 9: the stark inescapable facts of a situation "knows the ~"
score vb scored ; scor.ing vt (14c) 1 a: to keep a record or account of by or as if by notches on a tally: record b: to enter in a record c: to mark with significant lines or notches (as in keeping account)
2: to mark with lines, grooves, scratches, or notches
3: berate, scold; also: denounce
4. a (1): to make (a score) in a game or contest "scored a touchdown" "scored three points" (2): to enable (a base runner) to make a score (3): to have as a value in a game or contest: count "a touchdown ~s six points" b (1): achieve, win "scored a dazzling success" (2): acquire "help a traveler ~ local drugs --Poitor Koper"
5: to determine the merit of: grade
6. a: to write or arrange (music) for a specific performance medium b: to make an orchestration of c: to compose a score for (a movie) ~ vi 1: to keep score in a game or contest
2: to make a score in a game or contest 3 a: to gain or have the advantage b: to be successful: as (1): to succeed in having sexual intercourse (2): to manage to obtain illicit drugs c: rate -- scor.er n -- score points : to gain favor, status, or advantage