▪ dire , extreme , major , real , serious , true
Don't call me unless its a real ~.
▪ sudden , unexpected , unforeseen
▪ international , national , state
in times of national ~
▪ health , medical , surgical
It's a disaster and a public-health ~ in the making.
Make sure your policy covers you in case of medical ~.
He missed the meeting because of a family ~.
▪ in-flight ( esp. AmE )
▪ fire , snow (both AmE )
VERB + EMERGENCY
When a member of staff has a family ~, a project can get delayed.
▪ cope with , deal with , handle , respond to
firefighters on call to respond to emergencies
The assembly declared a national ~.
▪ be , constitute
Complete retention of urine constitutes a medical ~.
EMERGENCY + VERB
▪ arise , happen , occur
Call this number if any unforeseen ~ should arise.
EMERGENCY + NOUN
Would you know what to do in an ~ situation?
▪ action , measures , plan , procedures , response
▪ preparedness ( esp. AmE )
▪ laws , legislation , regulations
The police have been given ~ powers to deal with the crisis.
The government imposed ~ rule and suspended civil rights.
▪ meeting , session , summit , talks
an ~ session of the United Nations
▪ cover ( esp. BrE )
The army provided ~ cover when the ambulance service went on strike.
The ~ services are struggling to cope with the number of call-outs.
▪ crew , official , personnel ( esp. AmE ), responders ( AmE ), worker
An ~ crew was called out.
the New York police and fire and ~ responders
▪ aid , assistance , funds , help , relief , supply
Emergency supplies of food have been flown to the area.
▪ leave ( AmE )
He got ~ leave when his Dad died.
The ambulance crashed while answering an ~ call.
▪ backup ( esp. AmE ), rescue
an ~ shutdown of the nuclear reactor
▪ centre/center , department , room ( esp. AmE ), ward
one of the busiest accident and ~ departments in Scotland ( BrE )
▪ doctor ( esp. BrE ), physician ( esp. AmE ), vet
▪ admission , case
Emergency admissions to the hospital are given top priority.
▪ care , medicine , operation , surgery , treatment
▪ appendectomy , Caesarean , etc.
the ~ evacuation of more than 300 passengers
▪ button , equipment , vehicle
▪ for ~
She told me to keep the money for emergencies.
▪ in an ~
I need to know what to do in an ~.
▪ in case of ~ , in case of emergencies
There's a fire blanket on the kitchen wall in case of emergencies.
▪ a state of ~
The president immediately declared a state of ~.