Meaning of MEANS in English
1 method of doing sth
▪ appropriate , convenient , effective , efficient , reliable , useful
an effective ~ of mass communication
▪ best , preferred
Gold has been the preferred ~ of exchange for centuries.
▪ necessary , possible , practicable ( BrE )
We will use every possible ~ to achieve our objective.
▪ alternate ( AmE ), alternative , other
War is famously ‘the continuation of policy by other means’.
▪ primary , principal
Painting had become his primary ~ of self-expression.
▪ only , sole
Oil lamps were the sole ~ of illumination.
▪ conventional , traditional
▪ legal , legitimate
▪ non-violent , peaceful
▪ electronic , technical
Infringement of copyright includes distribution by electronic ~.
VERB + MEANS
We have no ~ of knowing how they will react.
▪ offer (sb) , provide (sb with)
My English teacher provided me with the ~ to enjoy reading poetry.
▪ develop , devise
Can you devise a ~ of overcoming the problem?
▪ by ~ (of)
The stone was lifted by ~ of a rope and pulley.
▪ through ~
They cannot achieve their goal through legal ~.
▪ ~ for
the ~ for achieving happiness
▪ ~ of
a ~ of access/communication/transport
a ~ of getting what you want
▪ the end justifies the ~
In the case of torture, the end can never justify the ~.
▪ a ~ to an end
He saw his education merely as a ~ to an end.
▪ by any ~ necessary , by fair ~ or foul
▪ by no ~/not by any ~ (= not at all) , ways and ~
There are ways and ~ of raising money.
▪ independent , private
She must have independent ~ to live in such style.
▪ limited , little , moderate , modest , slender
people who lack visible ~ of support
VERB + MEANS
MEANS + NOUN
Eligibility for the benefit was determined by a ~ test.
▪ according to your ~ (= according to what you can afford)
▪ beyond your ~
Private school fees are beyond the ~ of most people (= more than they can afford) .
▪ within your ~ (= according to what you can afford)
She finds it difficult to live within her ~.
▪ a man/woman of ~ (= a rich man/woman)
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012