1 person who connects telephone calls
▪ switchboard , telephone
OPERATOR + VERB
▪ connect sb , put sb through
I asked the ~ to put me through to her office.
2 person who works a machine, etc.
▪ experienced , skilled
▪ machine , plant
▪ camera , computer , lathe , radio , etc.
3 person/company that does particular business
▪ big , large
▪ holiday ( BrE ), tour , travel ( esp. BrE )
▪ cable , cable-television
▪ cellular ( AmE ), mobile ( BrE ), mobile-phone ( BrE ), network
▪ satellite , telecommunications
▪ airline ( esp. BrE ), bus ( esp. BrE ), charter , coach ( BrE ), ferry ( esp. BrE ), rail ( BrE ), train ( BrE )
a train ~ that runs services between London and Scotland
The Transport Minister has issued two new licences to private bus ~s in the Dublin area.
4 sb who is good at getting what they want
▪ shrewd , smooth