vt to get the better of.
2. best ·adj most; largest; as, the best part of a week.
3. best ·superl in the highest degree; beyond all others.
4. best ·superl to the most advantage; with the most success, case, profit, benefit, or propriety.
5. best ·adj most advanced; most correct or complete; as, the best scholar; the best view of a subject.
6. best ·superl most intimately; most thoroughly or correctly; as, what is expedient is best known to himself.
7. best ·noun utmost; highest endeavor or state; most nearly perfect thing, or being, or action; as, to do one's best; to the best of our ability.
8. best ·adj having good qualities in the highest degree; most good, kind, desirable, suitable, ·etc.; most excellent; as, the best man; the best road; the best cloth; the best abilities.