Meaning of CAPTAIN in English
adj chief; superior.
2. captain ·noun a head, or chief officer.
3. captain ·noun a military leader; a warrior.
4. captain ·noun the foreman of a body of workmen.
5. captain ·noun the master or commanding officer of a merchant vessel.
6. captain ·vt to act as captain of; to lead.
7. captain ·noun one in charge of a portion of a ship's company; as, a captain of a top, captain of a gun, ·etc.
8. captain ·noun by courtesy, an officer actually commanding a vessel, although not having the rank of captain.
9. captain ·noun a person having authority over others acting in concert; as, the captain of a boat's crew; the captain of a football team.
10. captain ·noun an officer in the united states navy, next above a commander and below a commodore, and ranking with a colonel in the army.
11. captain ·noun the military officer who commands a company, troop, or battery, or who has the rank entitling him to do so though he may be employed on other service.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012