adj to efface or remove.
2. plane ·noun any tree of the genus platanus.
3. plane ·adj figuratively, to make plain or smooth.
4. plane ·adj a block or plate having a perfectly flat surface, used as a standard of flatness; a surface plate.
5. plane ·adj without elevations or depressions; even; level; flat; lying in, or constituting, a plane; as, a plane surface.
6. plane ·add. ·vi of a boat, to lift more or less out of the water while in motion, after the manner of a hydroplane; to hydroplane.
7. plane ·adj to make smooth; to level; to pare off the inequalities of the surface of, as of a board or other piece of wood, by the use of a plane; as, to plane a plank.
8. plane ·adj an ideal surface, conceived as coinciding with, or containing, some designated astronomical line, circle, or other curve; as, the plane of an orbit; the plane of the ecliptic, or of the equator.
9. plane ·adj a surface, real or imaginary, in which, if any two points are taken, the straight line which joins them lies wholly in that surface; or a surface, any section of which by a like surface is a straight line; a surface without curvature.
10. plane ·adj a tool for smoothing boards or other surfaces of wood, for forming moldings, ·etc. it consists of a smooth-soled stock, usually of wood, from the under side or face of which projects slightly the steel cutting edge of a chisel, called the iron, which inclines backward, with an apperture in front for the escape of shavings; as, the jack plane; the smoothing plane; the molding plane, ·etc.