Meaning of ROD in English
noun an instrument for measuring.
2. rod ·noun a support for a fishing line; a fish pole.
3. rod ·noun an instrument of punishment or correction; figuratively, chastisement.
4. rod ·noun a measure of length containing sixteen and a half feet;
called also perch, and pole.
5. rod ·noun a kind of sceptor, or badge of office; hence, figuratively, power; authority; tyranny; oppression.
6. rod ·noun a straight and slender stick; a wand; hence, any slender bar, as of wood or metal (applied to various purposes).
7. rod ·noun a member used in tension, as for sustaining a suspended weight, or in tension and compression, as for transmitting reciprocating motion, ·etc.; a connecting bar.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012