Meaning of BROWN in English
— brownish, browny , adj. — brownness , n.
/brown/ , n., adj., browner, brownest , v.
1. a dark tertiary color with a yellowish or reddish hue.
2. a person whose skin has a dusky or light-brown pigmentation.
3. of the color brown.
4. (of animals) having skin, fur, hair, or feathers of that color.
5. sunburned or tanned.
6. (of persons) having the skin naturally pigmented a brown color.
7. do it up brown , Informal. to do thoroughly: When they entertain, they really do it up brown.
v.t. , v.i.
8. to make or become brown.
9. to fry, sauté, or scorch slightly in cooking: to brown onions before adding them to the stew. The potatoes browned in the pan.
10. browned off , Slang. angry; fed up.
11. brown out , to subject to a brownout: The power failure browned out the southern half of the state.
[ bef. 1000; ME; OE brun; c. D bruin, G braun, ON brunn; akin to Lith brúnas brown ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012