Meaning of CERTIFICATE in English
— certificatory /seuhr tif"euh ki tawr'ee, -tohr'ee/ , adj.
n. /seuhr tif"i kit/ ; v. /seuhr tif"i kayt'/ , n. , v. , certificated, certificating .
1. a document serving as evidence or as written testimony, as of status, qualifications, privileges, or the truth of something.
2. a document attesting to the fact that a person has completed an educational course, issued either by an institution not authorized to grant diplomas, or to a student not qualifying for a diploma.
3. Law. a statement, written and signed, which is by law made evidence of the truth of the facts stated, for all or for certain purposes.
a. See gold certificate .
b. See silver certificate .
5. to furnish with or authorize by a certificate.
6. to issue an official certificate attesting to the training, aptitude, and qualification of: to certificate a teacher.
[ 1375-1425; late ME certificat certificatum, n. use of neut. of certificatus certified (ptp. of certificare ), equiv. to certific- (see CERTIFY) + -atus -ATE 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012