/dek'leuh ray"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act of declaring; announcement: a declaration of a dividend.
2. a positive, explicit, or formal statement; proclamation: a declaration of war.
3. something that is announced, avowed, or proclaimed.
4. a document embodying or displaying an announcement or proclamation: He posted the declaration in a public place.
a. a formal statement presenting the plaintiff's claim in an action.
b. a complaint.
c. a statement, esp. by a witness.
d. a statement made to an official.
a. Bridge. a bid, esp. the successful bid.
b. the statement during the game of the points earned by a player, in bezique or other games.
7. a statement of goods, income, etc., esp. for the assessment of duty, tax, or the like.
[ 1300-50; ME declaracioun ( declaration- (s. of declaratio ) explanation, equiv. to declarat ( us ) (ptp. of declarare to explain, DECLARE; see -ATE 1 ) + -ion- -ION ]
Syn. 4. notice, bulletin; manifesto, edict.