Meaning of GROWTH in English
/grohth/ , n.
1. the act or process, or a manner of growing; development; gradual increase.
2. size or stage of development: It hasn't yet reached its full growth.
3. completed development.
4. development from a simpler to a more complex stage: the growth of ritual forms.
5. development from another but related form or stage: the growth of the nation state.
6. something that has grown or developed by or as if by a natural process: a growth of stubborn weeds.
7. Pathol. an abnormal increase in a mass of tissue, as a tumor.
8. origin; source; production: onions of English growth.
9. of or denoting a business, industry, or equity security that grows or is expected to grow in value over a long period of time: a growth industry; a growth stock.
[ 1550-60; see GROW, -TH 1 ; prob. c. ON grothr ]
Syn. 1. augmentation, expansion. 6. result, outgrowth. 7. excrescence.
Ant. 1. decline, decrease.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012