Meaning of MACHINE in English
— machineless , adj.
/meuh sheen"/ , n. , v. , machined, machining .
1. an apparatus consisting of interrelated parts with separate functions, used in the performance of some kind of work: a sewing machine.
2. a mechanical apparatus or contrivance; mechanism.
a. a device that transmits or modifies force or motion.
b. Also called simple machine . any of six or more elementary mechanisms, as the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, wedge, and inclined plane.
c. Also called complex machine . a combination of simple machines.
4. Older Use.
a. an automobile or airplane.
b. a typewriter.
5. a bicycle or motorcycle.
6. a vending machine: a cigarette machine.
7. any complex agency or operating system: the machine of government.
8. an organized group of persons that conducts or controls the activities of a political party or organization: He heads the Democratic machine in our city.
9. a person or thing that acts in a mechanical or automatic manner: Routine work had turned her into a machine.
10. any of various contrivances, esp. those formerly used in theater, for producing stage effects
11. some agency, personage, incident or other feature introduced for effect into a literary composition.
12. to make, prepare, or finish with a machine or with machine tools.
[ 1540-50; machina machaná pulley, akin to mâchos contrivance; cf. MECHANIC ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012