/noh/ , adv., adj., n., pl. noes, nos , v.
1. (a negative used to express dissent, denial, or refusal, as in response to a question or request)
2. (used to emphasize or introduce a negative statement): Not a single person came to the party, no, not a one.
3. not in any degree or manner; not at all (used with a comparative): He is no better.
4. not a (used before an adjective to convey the opposite of the adjective's meaning): His recovery was no small miracle.
5. not a (used before a noun to convey the opposite of the noun's meaning): She's no beginner on the ski slopes.
6. an utterance of the word "no."
7. a denial or refusal: He responded with a definite no.
8. a negative vote or voter: The noes have it.
9. no can do , Informal. it can't be done.
10. to reject, refuse approval, or express disapproval of.
11. to express disapproval.
[ bef. 900; ME; OE na, equiv. to ne not + a ever (see AY 1 ) ]
/noh/ , adj.
1. not any: no money.
2. not at all; far from being: He is no genius.
3. very little; negligible: We got her to the hospital in no time.
[ 1150-1200; ME; var. of NONE 1 ]