Meaning of OVERTAKE in English
/oh'veuhr tayk"/ , v. , overtook, overtaken, overtaking .
1. to catch up with in traveling or pursuit; draw even with: By taking a cab to the next town, we managed to overtake and board the train.
2. to catch up with and pass, as in a race; move by: He overtook the leader three laps from the finish.
3. to move ahead of in achievement, production, score, etc.; surpass: to overtake all other countries in steel production.
4. to happen to or befall someone suddenly or unexpectedly, as night, a storm, or death: The pounding rainstorm overtook them just outside the city.
5. to pass another vehicle: Never overtake on a curve.
[ 1175-1225; ME overtaken; see OVER-, TAKE ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012