— reciprocality, reciprocalness , n. — reciprocally , adv.
/ri sip"reuh keuhl/ , adj.
1. given or felt by each toward the other; mutual: reciprocal respect.
2. given, performed, felt, etc., in return: reciprocal aid.
3. corresponding; matching; complementary; equivalent: reciprocal privileges at other health clubs.
4. Gram. (of a pronoun or verb) expressing mutual relationship or action: "Each other" and "one another" are reciprocal pronouns.
5. inversely related or proportional; opposite.
6. Math. noting expressions, relations, etc., involving reciprocals: a reciprocal function.
7. Navig. bearing in a direction 180° to a given direction; back.
8. something that is reciprocal to something else; equivalent; counterpart; complement.
9. Also called multiplicative inverse . Math. the ratio of unity to a given quantity or expression; that by which the given quantity or expression is multiplied to produce unity: The reciprocal of x is 1/ x.
[ 1560-70; reciproc ( us ) returning, reciprocal + -AL 1 ]
Syn. 1. See mutual .