— reflectional , adj. — reflectionless , adj.
/ri flek"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act of reflecting or the state of being reflected.
2. an image; representation; counterpart.
3. a fixing of the thoughts on something; careful consideration.
4. a thought occurring in consideration or meditation.
5. an unfavorable remark or observation.
6. the casting of some imputation or reproach.
7. Physics , Optics.
a. the return of light, heat, sound, etc., after striking a surface.
b. something so reflected, as heat or esp. light.
a. (in a plane) the replacement of each point on one side of a line by the point symmetrically placed on the other side of the line.
b. (in space) the replacement of each point on one side of a plane by the symmetric point on the other side of the plane.
9. Anat. the bending or folding back of a part upon itself.
Also, esp. Brit., reflexion .
[ 1350-1400; ME reflexion- (s. of reflexio ) a bending back, equiv. to L reflex ( us ) (see REFLEX) + -ion- -ION ]
Syn. 3. meditation, rumination, deliberation, cogitation, study, thinking. 5. imputation, aspersion, reproach, criticism.