Meaning of SERIOUS in English
— seriousness , n.
/sear"ee euhs/ , adj.
1. of, showing, or characterized by deep thought.
2. of grave or somber disposition, character, or manner: a serious occasion; a serious man.
3. being in earnest; sincere; not trifling: His interest was serious.
4. requiring thought, concentration, or application: serious reading; a serious task.
5. weighty or important: a serious book; Marriage is a serious matter.
6. giving cause for apprehension; critical: The plan has one serious flaw.
7. Med. (of a patient's condition) having unstable or otherwise abnormal vital signs and other unfavorable indicators, as loss of appetite and poor mobility: patient is acutely ill.
8. that which is of importance, grave, critical, or somber: You have to learn to separate the serious from the frivolous.
[ 1400-50; late ME serius or LL seriosus; see -OUS, -OSE 1 ]
Syn. 2. sober, sedate, staid. 3. See earnest 1 . 5. momentous, grave.
Ant. 3, 5. trivial.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012