Meaning of COMMITTEE in English
com ‧ mit ‧ tee S3 W1 /kəˈmɪti/ BrE AmE noun
[ Date: 1600-1700 ; Origin: committee 'person something is committed to' (15-17 centuries) , from commit ]
[ countable also + plural verb British English ] a group of people chosen to do a particular job, make decisions etc
the International Committee of the Red Cross
a ministerial committee on security affairs
on a committee
He’s on the finance committee.
a committee meeting
• • •
▪ a committee meets (=has a meeting)
The environmental health committee will meet again next Wednesday.
▪ be on a committee (=be a member of a committee)
I was on the parents' committee at my kids' school.
▪ serve/sit on a committee (=be a member of an important committee)
Our organization is always in need of volunteers to serve on the committee.
▪ chair a committee (=be the person in charge of a committee)
Professor Peacock was appointed to chair the committee.
▪ appoint/set up/form a committee
The council appointed a special committee to study the issue.
▪ join a committee
I was invited to join a committee to plan the summer carnival.
▪ leave a committee
After three years, she decided to leave the committee.
▪ stand down from a committee (=leave it)
Everyone was sorry when he stood down from the committee.
■ committee + NOUN
▪ a committee meeting
There's a committee meeting once a month.
▪ a committee member
Four committee members did not attend the meeting.
▪ the committee chairman/chair
There will be a new committee chairman next year.
■ ADJECTIVES/NOUN + committee
▪ a special committee
A special committee of scientists was set up to study the disease.
▪ an executive committee (=that manages an organization and makes decisions for it)
He sat on the firm's Executive Committee.
▪ an advisory committee
a government advisory committee
▪ a standing committee (=a permanent one)
▪ a joint committee (=involving two or more groups)
▪ a steering committee (=one that directs a particular activity)
▪ a select committee (=one of politicians and advisers who look at a particular subject)
▪ a management committee
The scheme will be overseen by a management committee.
▪ a government/departmental/ministerial committee
▪ a planning committee British English (=one that considers requests to build new buildings)
Several concerns were raised at the planning committee.
▪ the finance/education etc committee
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Longman - Словарь современного английского языка. 2012