Meaning of BATTERY in English
1 for electricity
▪ dead , flat
The car won't start—the battery's flat.
▪ car , flashlight ( AmE ), laptop , phone , torch ( BrE )
▪ alkaline , lithium
▪ AA , AAA , etc.
▪ 9-volt , 48-volt , etc.
▪ storage ( AmE )
VERB + BATTERY
▪ charge , recharge
Don't leave the radio on—it'll drain the car ~.
▪ change , replace
▪ connect , disconnect
Is the ~ connected correctly?
▪ be powered by , run on , use , work on
The machine can also run on batteries.
BATTERY + VERB
▪ die , give out ( esp. BrE ), go dead , run down , run out
After about six hours, the ~ will run down.
BATTERY + NOUN
With our product you get longer ~ life.
The ~ compartment is at the back of the unit.
▪ charger , recharger
The lights have rechargeable ~ packs.
▪ battery-operated , battery-powered
a small battery-powered car
2 large group of similar things
▪ full , whole
▪ ~ of
I had to answer a whole ~ of questions.
▪ a ~ of tests
3 number of large guns
▪ artillery , gun , howitzer ( esp. AmE )
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012