Meaning of BATTERY in English
vt the act of battering or beating.
2. battery ·vt the pitcher and catcher together.
3. battery ·vt two or more pieces of artillery in the field.
4. battery ·vt an apparatus for generating voltaic electricity.
5. battery ·vt the box in which the stamps for crushing ore play up and down.
6. battery ·vt any place where cannon or mortars are mounted, for attack or defense.
7. battery ·vt a series of stamps operated by one motive power, for crushing ores containing the precious metals.
8. battery ·vt a number of coated jars (leyden jars) so connected that they may be charged and discharged simultaneously.
9. battery ·vt a number of similar machines or devices in position; an apparatus consisting of a set of similar parts; as, a battery of boilers, of retorts, condensers, ·etc.
10. battery ·vt a company or division of artillery, including the gunners, guns, horses, and all equipments. in the united states, a battery of flying artillery consists usually of six guns.
11. battery ·vt the unlawful beating of another. it includes every willful, angry and violent, or negligent touching of another's person or clothes, or anything attached to his person or held by him.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012