Meaning of ADVANCE in English
v the act of advancing or moving forward or upward; progress.
2. advance ·vt to raise to a higher rank; to promote.
3. advance ·vt to extol; to laud.
4. advance ·vt to raise; to elevate.
5. advance ·vt to bring forward; to move towards the van or front; to make to go on.
6. advance ·vi to rise in rank, office, or consequence; to be preferred or promoted.
7. advance ·vt to make earlier, as an event or date; to hasten.
8. advance ·vi to move or go forward; to proceed; as, he advanced to greet me.
9. advance ·v an addition to the price; rise in price or value; as, an advance on the prime cost of goods.
10. advance ·vi to increase or make progress in any respect; as, to advance in knowledge, in stature, in years, in price.
11. advance ·vt to raise to a higher point; to enhance; to raise in rate; as, to advance the price of goods.
12. advance ·vt to bring to view or notice; to offer or propose; to show; as, to advance an argument.
13. advance ·v improvement or progression, physically, mentally, morally, or socially; as, an advance in health, knowledge, or religion; an advance in rank or office.
14. advance ·vt to furnish, as money or other value, before it becomes due, or in aid of an enterprise; to supply beforehand; as, a merchant advances money on a contract or on goods consigned to him.
15. advance ·v the first step towards the attainment of a result; approach made to gain favor, to form an acquaintance, to adjust a difference, ·etc.; an overture; a tender; an offer;
usually in the plural.
xvi. advance ·v a furnishing of something before an equivalent is received (as money or goods), towards a capital or stock, or on loan; payment beforehand; the money or goods thus furnished; money or value supplied beforehand.
xvii. advance ·vt to accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward; to help on; to aid; to heighten; as, to advance the ripening of fruit; to advance one's interests.
xviii. advance ·adj before in place, or beforehand in time;
used for advanced; as, an advance guard, or that before the main guard or body of an army; advance payment, or that made before it is due; advance proofs, advance sheets, pages of a forthcoming volume, received in advance of the time of publication.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012