Meaning of CHANCE in English
adv by chance; perchance.
2. chance ·adj happening by chance; casual.
3. chance ·noun probability.
4. chance ·noun the operation or activity of such agent.
5. chance ·vt to befall; to happen to.
6. chance ·vi to happen, come, or arrive, without design or expectation.
7. chance ·vt to take the chances of; to venture upon;
usually with it as object.
8. chance ·noun a supposed material or psychical agent or mode of activity other than a force, law, or purpose; fortune; fate;
in this sense often personified.
9. chance ·noun a possibility; a likelihood; an opportunity;
with reference to a doubtful result; as, a chance to escape; a chance for life; the chances are all against him.
10. chance ·noun the supposed effect of such an agent; something that befalls, as the result of unknown or unconsidered forces; the issue of uncertain conditions; an event not calculated upon; an unexpected occurrence; a happening; accident; fortuity; casualty.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012