Meaning of FRIEND in English
noun a paramour of either sex.
2. friend ·vt to act as the friend of; to favor; to countenance; to befriend.
3. friend ·noun one who looks propitiously on a cause, an institution, a project, and the like; a favorer; a promoter; as, a friend to commerce, to poetry, to an institution.
4. friend ·noun one not inimical or hostile; one not a foe or enemy; also, one of the same nation, party, kin, ·etc., whose friendly feelings may be assumed. the word is some times used as a term of friendly address.
5. friend ·noun one who entertains for another such sentiments of esteem, respect, and affection that he seeks his society aud welfare; a wellwisher; an intimate associate; sometimes, an attendant.
6. friend ·noun one of a religious sect characterized by disuse of outward rites and an ordained ministry, by simplicity of dress and speech, and ·esp. by opposition to war and a desire to live at peace with all men. they are popularly called quakers.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012