Meaning of METAL in English
noun the rails of a railroad.
2. metal ·noun glass in a state of fusion.
3. metal ·noun a mine from which ores are taken.
4. metal ·noun ore from which a metal is derived;
so called by miners.
5. metal ·noun courage; spirit; mettle. ·see mettle.
6. metal ·noun the effective power or caliber of guns carried by a vessel of war.
7. metal ·vt to cover with metal; as, to metal a ship's bottom; to metal a road.
8. metal ·noun the broken stone used in macadamizing roads and ballasting railroads.
9. metal ·noun the substance of which anything is made; material; hence, constitutional disposition; character; temper.
10. metal ·noun an elementary substance, as sodium, calcium, or copper, whose oxide or hydroxide has basic rather than acid properties, as contrasted with the nonmetals, or metalloids. no sharp line can be drawn between the metals and nonmetals, and certain elements partake of both acid and basic qualities, as chromium, manganese, bismuth, ·etc.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012