Meaning of METAL in English
— metallike , adj.
/met"l/ , n. , v. , metaled, metaling or ( esp. Brit. ) metalled, metalling .
1. any of a class of elementary substances, as gold, silver, or copper, all of which are crystalline when solid and many of which are characterized by opacity, ductility, conductivity, and a unique luster when freshly fractured.
a. such a substance in its pure state, as distinguished from alloys.
b. an element yielding positively charged ions in aqueous solutions of its salts.
3. an alloy or mixture composed wholly or partly of such substances, as brass.
4. an object made of metal.
5. formative material; stuff.
a. See type metal .
b. the state of being set in type.
8. molten glass in the pot or melting tank.
9. Brit. See road metal .
10. to furnish or cover with metal.
11. Brit. to pave or surface (a road) with broken stone.
[ 1250-1300; ME ( metallum quarry, metal métallon mine, quarry, metal ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012