Meaning of SIDE in English
vi to lean on one side.
2. side ·noun long; large; extensive.
3. side ·vt to furnish with a siding; as, to side a house.
4. side ·vt to be or stand at the side of; to be on the side toward.
5. side ·vt to work (a timber or rib) to a certain thickness by trimming the sides.
6. side ·noun the right or left part of the wall or trunk of the body; as, a pain in the side.
7. side ·adj of or pertaining to a side, or the sides; being on the side, or toward the side; lateral.
8. side ·adj hence, indirect; oblique; collateral; incidental; as, a side issue; a side view or remark.
9. side ·noun a slope or declivity, as of a hill, considered as opposed to another slope over the ridge.
10. side ·noun fig.: aspect or part regarded as contrasted with some other; as, the bright side of poverty.
11. side ·noun a line of descent traced through one parent as distinguished from that traced through another.
12. side ·vt to suit; to pair; to match.
13. side ·vi to embrace the opinions of one party, or engage in its interest, in opposition to another party; to take sides; as, to side with the ministerial party.
14. side ·noun one of the halves of the body, of an animals or man, on either side of the mesial plane; or that which pertains to such a half; as, a side of beef; a side of sole leather.
15. side ·noun any outer portion of a thing considered apart from, and yet in relation to, the rest; as, the upper side of a sphere; also, any part or position viewed as opposite to or contrasted with another; as, this or that side.
xvi. side ·noun the position of a person or party regarded as opposed to another person or party, whether as a rival or a foe; a body of advocates or partisans; a party; hence, the interest or cause which one maintains against another; a doctrine or view opposed to another.
xvii. side ·noun the margin, edge, verge, or border of a surface; especially (when the thing spoken of is somewhat oblong in shape), one of the longer edges as distinguished from the shorter edges, called ends; a bounding line of a geometrical figure; as, the side of a field, of a square or triangle, of a river, of a road, ·etc.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012