vt to warm thoroughly; as, to toast the feet.
2. toast ·vt to dry and brown by the heat of a fire; as, to toast bread.
3. toast ·vt to name when a health is proposed to be drunk; to drink to the health, or in honor, of; as, to toast a lady.
4. toast ·v bread dried and browned before a fire, usually in slices; also, a kind of food prepared by putting slices of toasted bread into milk, gravy, ·etc.
5. toast ·v a lady in honor of whom persons or a company are invited to drink;
so called because toasts were formerly put into the liquor, as a great delicacy.
6. toast ·v hence, any person, especially a person of distinction, in honor of whom a health is drunk; hence, also, anything so commemorated; a sentiment, as "the land we live in," "the day we celebrate," ·etc.