noun to ferment, as a liquid.
2. work ·noun ore before it is dressed.
3. work ·add. ·noun break; twist.
4. work ·vt to cause to ferment, as liquor.
5. work ·add. ·noun ore before it is dressed.
6. work ·noun performance of moral duties; righteous conduct.
7. work ·noun the moving parts of a mechanism; as, the works of a watch.
8. work ·noun to act or operate on the stomach and bowels, as a cathartic.
9. work ·noun manner of working; management; treatment; as, unskillful work spoiled the effect.
10. work ·vt to form with a needle and thread or yarn; especially, to embroider; as, to work muslin.
11. work ·noun hence, figuratively, to be effective; to have effect or influence; to conduce.
12. work ·vt to labor or operate upon; to give exertion and effort to; to prepare for use, or to utilize, by labor.
13. work ·vt to produce by slow degrees, or as if laboriously; to bring gradually into any state by action or motion.
14. work ·vt to influence by acting upon; to prevail upon; to manage; to lead.
15. work ·noun hence, in a general sense, to operate; to act; to perform; as, a machine works well.
xvi. work ·noun to carry on business; to be engaged or employed customarily; to perform the part of a laborer; to labor; to toil.
xvii. work ·vt to set in motion or action; to direct the action of; to keep at work; to govern; to manage; as, to work a machine.
xviii. work ·noun exertion of strength or faculties; physical or intellectual effort directed to an end; industrial activity; toil; employment; sometimes, specifically, physically labor.
xix. work ·add. ·noun the causing of motion against a resisting force, measured by the product of the force into the component of the motion resolved along the direction of the force.
xx. work ·noun to exert one's self for a purpose; to put forth effort for the attainment of an object; to labor; to be engaged in the performance of a task, a duty, or the like.
xxi. work ·noun specifically: (a) that which is produced by mental labor; a composition; a book; as, a work, or the works, of addison. (b) flowers, figures, or the like, wrought with the needle; embroidery.
xxii. work ·noun to be in a state of severe exertion, or as if in such a state; to be tossed or agitated; to move heavily; to strain; to labor; as, a ship works in a heavy sea.
xxiii. work ·noun the matter on which one is at work; that upon which one spends labor; material for working upon; subject of exertion; the thing occupying one; business; duty; as, to take up one's work; to drop one's work.
xxiv. work ·noun that which is produced as the result of labor; anything accomplished by exertion or toil; product; performance; fabric; manufacture; in a more general sense, act, deed, service, effect, result, achievement, feat.
xxv. work ·noun structures in civil, military, or naval engineering, as docks, bridges, embankments, trenches, fortifications, and the like; also, the structures and grounds of a manufacturing establishment; as, iron works; locomotive works; gas works.
xxvi. work ·noun to make one's way slowly and with difficulty; to move or penetrate laboriously; to proceed with effort;
with a following preposition, as down, out, into, up, through, and the like; as, scheme works out by degrees; to work into the earth.
xxvii. work ·vt to produce or form by labor; to bring forth by exertion or toil; to accomplish; to originate; to effect; as, to work wood or iron into a form desired, or into a utensil; to work cotton or wool into cloth.
xxviii. work ·noun the causing of motion against a resisting force. the amount of work is proportioned to, and is measured by, the product of the force into the amount of motion along the direction of the force. ·see conservation of energy, under conservation, unit of work, under unit, also foot pound, horse power, poundal, and erg.