Meaning of ABSENCE in English
/ab"seuhns/ , n.
1. state of being away or not being present: I acted as supervisor in his absence. Your absence was noted on the records.
2. period of being away: an absence of several weeks.
3. failure to attend or appear when expected.
4. lack; deficiency: the absence of proof.
5. inattentiveness; preoccupation; absent-mindedness: absence of mind.
[ 1350-1400; ME absentia. See ABSENT, -IA ]
Ant. 1. presence.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012