Meaning of ACCORD in English
— accordable , adj. — accorder , n.
/euh kawrd"/ , v.i.
1. to be in agreement or harmony; agree.
2. to make agree or correspond; adapt.
3. to grant; bestow: to accord due praise.
4. Archaic. to settle; reconcile.
5. proper relationship or proportion; harmony.
6. a harmonious union of sounds, colors, etc.
7. consent or concurrence of opinions or wills; agreement.
8. an international agreement; settlement of questions outstanding among nations.
9. of one's own accord , without being asked or told; voluntarily: We did the extra work of our own accord.
[ 1100-50; ME ac ( c ) corden, late OE acordan acorder accordare, equiv. to L ac- AC- + cord- heart, mind; see CORDIAL, HEART ]
Syn. 1. harmonize, concur. See correspond. 2. reconcile.
Ant. 1. conflict. 3. withhold, deny; withdraw.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012