Meaning of BRASS in English
— brassish , adj.
/bras, brahs/ , n.
1. any of various metal alloys consisting mainly of copper and zinc.
2. a utensil, ornament, or other article made of such an alloy.
a. See brass instrument .
b. brass instruments collectively in a band or orchestra.
4. metallic yellow; lemon, amber, or reddish yellow.
a. high-ranking military officers.
b. any very important officials.
6. Informal. excessive self-assurance; impudence; effrontery.
7. Mach. a replaceable semicylindrical shell, usually of bronze, used with another such to line a bearing; a half bushing. See diag. under exploded view .
8. Brit. a memorial tablet or plaque, often incised with an effigy, coat of arms, or the like.
9. Furniture. any piece of ornamental or functional hardware, as a drawer pull, made of brass.
10. Brit. Slang. money.
11. of, made of, or pertaining to brass.
12. composed for or using musical instruments made of brass.
13. having the color brass.
[ bef. 1000; 1945-50 for def. 5; ME bras, OE braes; c. OFris bres copper, MLG bras metal ]
Syn. 6. cheek, nerve, brashness, gall, chutzpa.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012