— expressional , adj. — expressionless , adj. — expressionlessly , adv.
/ik spresh"euhn/ , n.
1. the act of expressing or setting forth in words: the free expression of political opinions.
2. a particular word, phrase, or form of words: old-fashioned expressions.
3. the manner or form in which a thing is expressed in words; wording; phrasing: delicacy of expression.
4. the power of expressing in words: joy beyond expression.
5. indication of feeling, spirit, character, etc., as on the face, in the voice, or in artistic execution: the lyric expression embodied in his poetry.
6. a look or intonation expressing personal reaction, feeling, etc.: a shocked expression.
7. the quality or power of expressing an attitude, emotion, etc.: a face that lacks expression; to read with expression.
8. the act of expressing or representing, as by symbols.
9. Math. a symbol or a combination of symbols representing a value, relation, or the like.
10. Ling. the stylistic characteristics of an utterance (opposed to meaning ).
11. Ling. the system of verbal utterances specific to a language (opposed to content ).
12. the act of expressing or pressing out.
13. Computers. a combination of variables, constants, and functions linked by operation symbols and any required punctuation that describe a rule for calculating a value.
a. the action of a gene in the production of a protein or a phenotype.
b. expressivity (def. 2).
[ 1425-75; late ME expression- (s. of expressio ) a pressing out. See EXPRESS, -ION ]
Syn. 1. utterance, declaration, assertion, statement. 2. term, idiom. See phrase. 3. language, diction, phraseology. 5. manifestation, sign. 6. aspect, air.