/fuyn"l/ , adj.
1. pertaining to or coming at the end; last in place, order, or time: the final meeting of the year.
2. ultimate: The final goal is world peace.
3. conclusive or decisive: a final decision.
4. constituting the end or purpose: a final result.
5. pertaining to or expressing the end or purpose: a final clause.
a. precluding further controversy on the questions passed upon: The judicial determination of the Supreme Court is final.
b. determining all issues presented, so that no further decision upon the merits of the issues is necessary: a final judgment or decree.
7. Phonet. occurring at the end of a word or syllable, as the /t/ sound in bit or bite.
8. that which is last; that which forms an end or termination.
9. Often, finals .
a. the last and decisive game, match, contest, or round in a series, as in sports.
b. the last, usually comprehensive, examination in a course of study.
10. the last edition of a newspaper published on any day.
11. Music. the tonic note of a church mode.
[ 1300-50; 1915-20 for def. 10; ME finalis, equiv. to fin ( is ) end + -alis -AL 1 ]
Syn. 1. See last 1 . 3. definite, irrevocable, irreversible, unalterable.
Ant. 1. initial, first.